Monday 8 September 2014

L4G Shop Local Challenge



The Inspiration...

...I think we have a new challenge in the offing, after a brilliant post by +Chris Ogle describing his experience in the last nearly 12 months staying out of the supermarkets.

Immediately it sparked something in me, I hared his blogpost asking if anyone else in +Link4Growth was up for the challenge.

Meanwhile...

... over on facebook fellow District Leader for Newcastle  +Dee Twentyman and myself got to chatting (as you do on fb lol) and we have taken up the challenge, as of today Monday 8th September 2014 we have committed to stay out of supermarkets for one month initially.

So I will be visiting local shops for everything that I used to buy in the supermarket.

It is about putting our money where our mouth is, and just DOING it !!

Why ?

Why you might ask are we doing this !

Well, personally for a few reasons, before having kids I steered clear of supermarkets, although my husband was a great shopper, personally I am not, I am great a bargain hunting, and I have a real gatherer spirit.  I used to use all the local shops and loved to forage amid the local markets, its something I miss and its something I want to get back to now that I can :)

I believe in community and I understand that there are many benefits to supporting local trade, from higher local employment and accessible services, to a more invested life in the community.

We will be charting our highs and lows the advantages we find and the disadvantages too...

Join Us... 

So I am asking - who else is up for this challenge - add your name to the comments along with a link to your G+ profile or blog

Links

Chris Ogle's Blog Post - Nearly a year without Supermarkets...



No comments:

Post a Comment