Monday 15 September 2014

Lisa Out & About - Baby People Music Event in Derby


My kids and I have not long returned from the Market Square in Derby, where I have just spent the last 3 1/2 hours watching some real class acts on stage live, representing the Baby People.

Jack and Myself
I met Baby J himself who was amazingly down to earth and so passionate about the music, the kids and the Derbyshire area from what I could gather.  It was an honour and pleasure to meet you Sir.  I was also introduced to Zee and Craig some of Mollie's mentors and tutors - thank you SO much for being totally inspirational :)

Just to clue you all in, Baby People are an awesome group of people, they nurture local talent to a really high quality and have many successes under their belt.

Baby People also offer an educational programme, that gives SO much to the kids they work with.

My daughter Mollie has been one of the creative spirits that has been blessed with the opportunity to attend at Baby People Derby and as her mum, I can honestly say the difference its made for her is profound.  She is not the only one either, I know many of the local youth have been nurtured by this awesome team, and I for one am 100% a supporter of their work
Mollie

What can I say about the acts, after all I am no musical critic, but I know what I like, and I LOVE music, hopefully something I have passed on to my kids, they will tell you they have been exposed to every genre from the dark ages on lol, and you will find music on in my home, much more than TV (which I don't watch) or even the Xbox, etc.  Everyone here is music mad :)

My daughter Mollie as a student and part of her course was there helping out and it was good to see her friend Pilko again (I am sure you get TALLER Daniel lol) and it was also nice to meet Matthew !

We were traditionally for us late at normal, only 45 minutes, which sadly means we missed the first act -

Eleckric  


However, this my daughter +mollie fenwick's video with her friends Daniel (Pilko) and Matthew mucking about in the foreground :/ lol - lovely voice Elecktric - I am sorry I missed your act, if anyone has photo's or footage please share

Shaodow


We arrived after an awesome performance by Shaodow :( but following a little looking around I found a link to one of Shaodow's tunes I really like, just to show you why the :( lol

more to be found here at Shaodowmusic.com

Milaynie and Katie


Afronaut

We caught Afronaut and I liked his style, had a very powerful voice and deep lyrics reminded me a little of the work by Tracey Chapman. Again no footage but there is a clip from him on Instagram - apparently he offered to stand in on virtually no notice - well you did a fab job - loved it and would definitely like to see more.

Derby Dreams

Next was Derby Dreams, a group of young, up and coming musicians on an important mission to raise awareness on the issues we all face, to commemorate 50 years since Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech.whose powerful mix of hip hop and grime I am told by my son - I have to admit some of the lyrics made me cry - I really did relate to the way they spoke/sang /rapped etc of the many issues facing young people as they try and make their way in this world - a great act - full of passion and the odd expletive thrown in for good measure - love the rebellion boys - awesome !!


And I loved Coretta's Dream
Joseph and AdamDefkon 1

Defkon1 


played while I was hunting for a chip shop - and although I left my phone and instructions to photos and video, apparently they were so into the performance they FORGOT !!!
:(

Here is a link to their FB Page also check out their tracks on Soundcloud
Jack and Myself

Jamie Joseph


One of my favourite acts of Saturday by far has to be Jamie Joseph a soul singer from Normanton in Derbyshire, He sang quite a few tracks including cover tracks by Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing) a very hard act to cover and yet he did it awesomely ! and Al Green's "it's a wonderful life" - a definite addition to the music shopping list :)

Check him out +JamieJosephVEVO and on Twitter   Jamie Joseph has just been signed to Sony records, and I for one wish him all the best :)

Backing vocals for Jamie Joseph were performed by the beautiful and talented Zee and Sabrina Sandhu














Eyez

Next was the reason many were there on Saturday, Eyez.  A local lad and grime artist, I am very familiar with from my son and his mates, who are constantly "spitting bars" and playing his stuff on Soundcloud and YouTube.

First of all he opened with FOOTBALL and then performed my favourite "sick of your lies" with Sabrina Sandhu followed by some good ol grime :) not sure who was on guitar but WOW he was amazing !

Unfortunately the video we took won't upload - so I am sharing this  YouTube video of Sick of Your Lies

Eyez on Twitter
Eyez on FB
Eyez on Soundcloud


By the time Eyez had finished I think pretty much everyone was skanking or at least ready to let rip - wicked set.

P-Money


WOW what can I say - whoever wasn't skanking after EYEZ was deffo moving to P-Money - awesome presence, powerful voice and banging tunes too _ LOVED IT lol

P Money on FB
P Money on Twitter
P Money on Soundcloud



All in all a great afternoon out, followed by chip supper on the way home from Crest of the Wave in Heanor

Baby People Derby - thank you for an excellent event and to Zee, Baby J and Craig - thank you for such a warm welcome.

I look forward to being at future events :)



No comments:

Post a Comment